Friday, February 1, 2008

A Judge, Not a Politician

Here is a statement from Justice Phil Johnson about his judicial philosophy:

As a justice on the Texas Supreme Court, I consider it my duty to the people of Texas, and to those who have gone before us, to interpret laws, not make them.

My commitment to the law comes from over 20 years of private practice, 6 years as a Justice and Chief Justice of the 7th District Court of Appeals in Amarillo, and my service on the Texas Supreme Court since 2005. While serving on the Court of Appeals, I considered and helped dispose of over 2,400 appeals and authored over 600 opinions.

I will strictly interpret and apply the law as written, regardless of personal views or the parties involved.

If you agree that judges should not legislate from the bench, I hope that I can count on your help in the campaign and your vote in 2008.

No comments: